Clarity Biosolutions aims to deliver value to you via a range of innovative products and services in food safety and biotechnology.
Food safety and the health of animals in the food chain is of increasing importance. The globalisation of the food industry, with products being distributed worldwide and livestock being transported freely across national borders, means that the potential impact of contamination and infection is greater than ever.
- 2.2M annual global deaths resulting from foodborne pathogens reported in 2010 by the WHO
- The UK Food Standards Agency reports that each year in the UK 1M people suffer, 20,000 receive hospital treatment and 500 die from foodborne illness, costing the UK economy nearly £1.5 billion.
- The US Centre for Disease Control estimates that each year 1 in 6 Americans becomes ill, 128,000 are hospitalized, and 3,000 die of foodborne diseases.
Food safety issues go beyond simply food-borne disease. Antibiotic use is threatening the efficacy of these drugs in the treatment of a wide range of human diseases.
- Antibiotic use in animal health is at worrying levels with over 50% of antibiotics used in the food and veterinary industry, increasing the threat of antibiotic resistance, the dangers of which are illustrated by MRSA.
- There is a growing demand for vaccines to protect against diseases that are currently treated with antibiotics, but reassurance is required on farms that these vaccines are effective.
Clarity is developing diagnostic technologies which will enable rapid and cost effective detection of food pathogens, antibiotic residues and facilitate on-site evaluation of vaccine efficiency.
We offer contract research for pharmaceutical and biotech industries to enable savings and improvements in manufacturing processes and logistics chains.
The Clarity team has many years experience in pharmaceutical research, development and manufacturing, allied to an in-depth knowledge and understanding of the detection of micro-organisms.